Skip to main content

Story: Cupcake Or Sandwich?

It was Friday and the final day of the fifth edition of the annual  Girls Who Love Tech Camp. Mimi and Naa Lamiley moved swiftly towards the dinning hall, teasing each other as they've always done anytime they had the opportunity to eat together since primary six school days.

Mimi and Naa Lamiley have been friends since childhood and their friendship has grown over the years as they naturally vibe, have got so much in common, and stick together no matter what.

As they joined the other girls; Jemmy, Larisa, Nana Akua, Ini,  Naa Anyorkor and Joy, at table three and patiently wait for their last desert at the camp, they were intrigued by what the six others were talking about - their experiences so far and how they intend making lives better in their various communities using the knowledge they've gained.

The five days camp which was held purposely to ignite the love for technology of the participants and develop their technological skills, have seen the girls build healthy relationship among themselves. It has also seen them enhance their individual skills and acquired new ones. And it has seen them have so much fun than they thought they would at such a camp.

"Joy, do you remember what got you screaming all the way back to the bathroom on Tuesday?" Nana Akua asked sarcastically and all the girls started laughing

"Gosh! You were so shy." Mimi added

"Oh I was so shy. I had come out naked, still clad in soap because the shower stopped. I never knew you girls were right outside. Can you imagine? I just met you girls. I was so shy I had to go back. Crazy things girls can do" Joy narrated and the girls laughed it off

"But you girls, wait oh. Are you by any way forgetting that wasn't the craziest thing?" Naa Lamiley asked, staring directly at Larisa, and instantly they all knew what she meant by that.

Larisa had thrown her laptop away out of frustration because the coding no longer made sense to her; she just couldn't get the final part right no matter how hard she tried.

"I beg. That wasn't the craziest. Do you know how annoying it is to keep coding and not get results? I thought I loved challenges until I came here. Huh! But Mimi, I envy you oh, you are so good." Larisa replied, not fascinated by the memory.

"Thank you dear but you are also good. Ask me and I will tell you I only think you weren't patient enough, and that was the problem. But heyye throwing your laptop away remains the craziest I've seen so far." Mimi said and the other girls started coughing teasingly.

Soon the waitress arrived with the desert and after serving them the pineapple juice, she asked in general which of the snack each preferred, "Cupcake or sandwich?", and one after the other, the six other girls opted for sandwiches after observing how yummy it looks. It was a chicken salad sandwich with pecans, cranberries and delicately shredded chicken.

Out of fear of feeling odd, Mimi also opted for sandwich, thus causing Naa Lamiley who knew how much love Mimi had for cupcake,  to raise a questioning eye brow as she gestured the waitress to give her sandwich too.

Throughout lunch, Naa Lamiley watched Mimi with shock; she couldn't believe Mimi didn't take cupcake. She's always known Mimi to be someone who will do anything for cupcake especially the vanilla flavoured one; hardly a day goes by without Mimi taking cupcake.

Unlike Naa Lamily, Mimi likes sweet, and sandwich is never an option, she thinks its more of a heavy meal than a desert.
The last time they dropped by the institute's cafeteria for snacks, Mimi had refused to take sandwich or pie when the   woman said cupcake was yet to arrive. She preferred to wait till it arrived than to take pie or sandwich no matter what Naa Lamily had to say.

Lunch was over and it was finally time for the participants of the Girls Who Love Tech to bid each other good bye and leave to their various destinations. The atmosphere at the moment was charged with mixed feelings as one after the other, the girls exchanged well wishes and promises of staying in touch.
Mimi and Naa Lamiley were also caught up in the moment with their roommates, the six girls they've grown to vibe with. They stood for minutes reminiscing the old moments, and saying good bye over and over till their driver was ready to take off.

Once alone with Mimi at the back row of the bus en route to Accra, Naa Lamiley poured out what she had held back since lunch time - the shock of seeing Mimi opt for sandwich.

"I still can't believe you took sandwich back then", Naa Lamiley said

"Oh yeah! I saw the shock on your face. You know me too well," Mimi shot back

"Well enough to know there is something wrong. Five minutes before lunch, you told me you will take cupcake. What happened? Don't tell me..."

"Don't tell you what?" Mimi interrupted "Don't start now because there is no way I am saying anything. You were the same person who always motivate me to take sandwich often; be happy I did today." She added

"And then this; you trying to play smart. I may not be as smart as you are but I am not that dumb as a friend not to know when something is fishy. Why did you take sandwich? Tell me, is it because everyone took it?" Naa Lamiley blurted out

"Well yes." Mimi confessed. "You saw what went on. I already knew you will take sandwich but I didn't know Joy and the other girls loved sandwich too. I would have ended up as the only odd one. What will their thought of me be? That while everyone took sandwich, I took cupcake? I just didn't want anyone taking it the wrong way. I just wanted to take what everyone else took so that I will feel belonging" she added

At this point, Naa Lamiley couldn't believe what she heard. She was surprised the boldest among the two of them wasn't bold enough to take what she truly craved for.

"Really? Did this just come from Miss Bold?" Naa Lamiley asked, smirking.

Mimi was silent.

"The last time I checked you were preaching to me about being myself all the time. What happened to you? Or doesn't our preferences define us? Those girls don't love sandwich, no. Didn't you hear the comment they made? The mayo isn't dripping. They opted for sandwich because it looked delicious. What if they loved sandwiches? What? Your opting for cupcake would have even made you the unique one among us. That wouldn't change what they feel for you? In terms of food, are we not the opposite of each other? We are yet I still love you, that doesn't change the fact that we are best friends, does it?

"Well, no. I know right. I messed up. Don't even know why I did that but..."

"But nothing my dear. We are often faced with situations that compel us to opt for what we don't what, be who we aren't, do crazy things just for acceptance, but the truth of the matter is, we have the final say and the ability to stand for what we love, prefer and who we are, without fear or whatsoever. I just hope this won't happen again. So just assure me there is no way you will do something similar."

"Is that why you are my best friend?" Mimi asked and they both did burst into laughter as they normally do when they are correcting each other.

"Of what use am I if I can't help you become the original version you were created to be? A friend who can't correct you when you are wrong, is that one too a friend?"

"Certainly not, and that's why you are my better half. In the next world, would you please be my Bestie?"

"Yes, I will, even in the next five."

Naa Lamiley and Mimi then hugged each other; each taking a stroll down memory lane.
"We've come a long way you know" they said in unison and its awareness formed a smile on their faces. A smile of hope that nothing will mar their friendship.

©Racheal Wyettey. All rights reserved.

Thanks for taking time to read. Kindly share if you like it. Follow me on FacebookTwitter and Instagram: @rachealwyettey for update on my writings.  Visit Mirakee for more of my quotes, poems and short writings.

Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *